- 2¾ tsp fresh garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2½ tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ½ tsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1¼ tsp sea salt
- 2½ tbsp coconut milk
- 3 cups canned pumpkin
- 2½ cups canned chickpeas
- Mixing bowl
- Medium pot
- Grind all the spices together. Voilà you've made a masala mix.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat and fry the garlic and ginger (3 minutes).
- Add onions and peppers, cover the pot and “sweat” the veggies until they're soft and translucent, but not mushy (about 5 minutes).
- Add masala mix and keep stirring until a crust starts to form on the bottom of the pot (1 minute).
- Add coconut milk, stirring until crust is removed from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the pumpkin and chickpeas and mix well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Source: Real Food for Real Kids