Makes 18-24 pieces
- 1 cup rice
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 celery sticks sliced
- ½ cucumber sliced
- 1 avocados, sliced
- 2 cheese strings
- 3 tbsp sodium free sugar free rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 nori seaweed sheets
- Optional: Wasabi and soy sauce
- Rice cooker or pot
- Small pot or saucepan
- Add rice and water to a rice cooker, and turn it on until cooked (i.e. when the indicator of the rice cooker indicates “Keep Warm” from “Cook”).
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan, cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn off the heat, and let it sit for 10 minutes on the hot burner.
- While the rice and eggs are being cooked, cut the red bell pepper, celery sticks, cucumber, and avocado into small strips, and tear the cheese strings into small strips.
- Cool the boiled eggs under cold running water, peel the shell, and slice into small strips.
- Stir rice to cool and mix in the sugar and the rice vinegar, blend well.
- Put one sheet of nori seaweed on a sushi mat, and spread a thin layer of rice to cover half of nori sheet.
- Lay strips of red bell pepper, celery sticks, cucumber, avocado, cheese string, and egg on the other half of the nori sheet.
- Roll the nori sheet and squeeze to make sure the roll is tight.
- Cut the roll into 6 -8 equal pieces.
- Repeat steps 6-9, each time with a new sheet of nori seaweed.
- Arrange the sushi rolls on a plate and serve.
- Optional: mix a small amount of wasabi and soy sauce as a dipping sauce for the sushi roll.
Recipe and photo source: Kenny, Brendan, Charley, and Eric from Mazo de la Roche Public School who won York Region's You're The Chef Cook Off contest.