Heating and Cooling Energy Saving Tips
Heating and cooling a home accounts for about 60% of total energy costs. By implementing these simple changes listed below, you can make a big impact on your energy bill.
- Draft proof your home to keep warm air where you want it (inside in winter, outside in summer).
- Insulate your home. A properly insulated space will aid in keeping the space warm in winter, and cool in the summer.
- Install an automatic, programmable thermostat with a built in timer. You can set it to lower the heat by a few degrees at night and when you’re away, or turn off the AC when you are not at home.
- Replace your old furnace with a high-efficiency model.
- Clean or replace the air filter in your furnace every month to improve efficiency.
- Install ceiling fans and use them to supplement or as an alternative to air conditioning.
- To save on central AC costs, cool your home to only 24 or 25°C instead of the low 20s.
- Clean the air conditioner’s filter every month. Clean filters enable the unit to cool down quickly and use less energy.