How You Can Participate!
All Students Can Participate!
- students who come to school on a school bus can participate in related in-school activities such as Kilometre Club, Walking Club or community walks
- students who take transit to school already have to walk part-way, so they qualify
students who have to be driven can encourage their parents to park safely and 'walk a block'
- students who live within walking distance can walk or use other active travel* to get to school as often as possible
How Does It Work?
Each student is given an iwalk club card. Every time a student walks or uses active transportation* to get to school, the card is stamped - the school decides who does the stamping. Cards are also stamped for relevant in-school activities. Every tenth stamp is a Golden Shoe sticker. Students who accumulate 50 stamps are eligible for rewards, to be determined by each school (e.g., a golden shoe award, an extra recess, a prize from a local business, etc.).
Prizes, Prizes, Prizes
Students and schools walk to win in the iwalk club!
- receive a gift for registering
- are eligible for three fabulous grand prizes
- receive certificates of accomplishment for filling their club cards and receiving 5 'golden shoe' stickers
- can be rewarded through in-school incentives - to be decided by each school
Join the iwalk club and contribute to a healthier world
Visit our web site at www.saferoutestoschool.ca and click on the iwalk club. Complete the online registration, or complete the enclosed registration form and fax to us: 416-488-2296.
All program materials will be provided at no cost to schools upon registration.
For more information contact Active and Safe Routes to School (ASRTS) at:
Toll Free: 1-877-533-4098
If you are a teacher, parent, or school administrator interested in receiving a free ASRTS community action resource guide or for more information on how to get your school involved with ASRTS please contact:
Windfall Ecology Centre:
Phone: 905-727-0491 ext.113
Toll Free: 1-866-280-4431
York Region Active and Safe Routes to School partners include:
- Windfall Ecology Centre
- York Region Health Services
- Town of Markham, Engineering Department
- York Region Police Department
- Green Communities Association