Win a Rain Garden Contest
Winning video submission & rain garden installation
In Spring 2016, Windfall Centre held a Win a Rain Garden Contest where Newmarket and Aurora homeowners could enter for a chance to win a free expertly-designed rain garden for their front yard. We received some really amazing contest submissions, such as videos, stories, poems and photos! Thank you to everyone who entered the contest!
Our Contest Judging Panel was comprised of a wonderful group of project partners:
- Lori McLean, Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Jen Slykhuis, Town of Newmarket
- Mary Hemmingway, The Regional Municipality of York
- Aileen Barclay, Frankie Flowers / Resource Management Strategies Inc.
The Contest Judging Panel met to review all the contest submissions and the Ferrie Family from Newmarket was chosen as the Rain Garden Contest winners! The Ferrie Family made an amazingly creative video showcasing why they wanted to win a rain garden for their home.
Watch the winning video below:
Why did we give away a rain garden?
- Rain gardens are specially designed to capture rain and stormwater runoff and they help keep many pollutants from entering our lakes and waterways in the Lake Simcoe watershed.
- Rain gardens use native plants and materials that allow water to slowly soak into the ground, rather than run off into local storm drains.
- Not only are rain gardens an environmentally friendly way to garden, they are also beautiful and easy to maintain.
Creating the Ferrie family's rain garden:
Thank you to everyone involved with this amazing project and to those who attended our workshop to help plant the rain garden.
Thank you to the Ferrie Family for being wonderful to work with - we hope you enjoy your new rain garden!
And a very special thank you to our project partners for all their help and hard work: