Home Energy Conservation Program
New for 2018 — Homeowner Incentives of up to $5000
When your home consumes less energy, it frees up money for other things, like vacations, your children's education and retirement. Helping you save money is simply the right thing to do. The Home Energy Conservation Program makes it easy and affordable for you to improve the energy efficiency of your home, lower your energy bills and lessen your home's impact on the environment.
- Heating system - Up to $1,000 rebate
- Insulation - Up to $1,750 rebate per insulation
- Air Sealing - Up to $150 rebate
- Water heater - $500 rebate
- Windows/Doors - $80 rebate per rough opening
- Qualifying wood burning replacement systems - Up to $750 rebate
- Appliances - Up to $75 rebate per appliance
- Air source heat pump - Up to $5,550 rebate per appliance
- Central air conditioner - $600 rebate
- Plus so much more
*For full incentive details and to book your energy assessment contact us at 416-465-6333 or 1-866-280-4431.
If you're a qualified homeowner (see Step 1 below), you can take advantage of valuable incentives by completing a minimum of 2 energy upgrades listed in Step 3 below
PLUS — Deeper Energy Saving incentives are now available!
New Bonus Incentives*
When you complete more than two upgrades you also qualify for a $250 bonus (as part of the $5000 incentive) for each additional upgrade installed - to a maximum of $750:
- Install 3 upgrades – customer will receive additional $250
- Install 4 upgrades – customer will receive additional $500
- Install 5 upgrades – customer will receive additional $750
Additional Electric Incentives*
When you complete a minimum of 2 upgrades (listed in Step 3 below) you may also receive additional incentives for electrical upgrades such as heating and cooling, appliances, and air source heat pumps.
*Bonus incentives will be determined through a pre and post Home Energy Evaluation and a Windfall Registered Energy Advisor will walk you through all the rebates your home is eligible for and how to get these bonus incentives
Step 1: Qualification
- You must heat your home with natural gas, oil, propane boiler/furnace, electric heat, OR wood stove.
- If you are an Enbridge Gas customer and have a valid Enbridge account in good standing OR if you heat your home with electricity, oil, wood, or propane — you must provide a current tax bill for the property.
- Call Windfall Ecology Centre to ensure that you qualify.
- You must reside in the Enbridge Gas Program Delivery Area, including:
- Town of Aurora
- Town of East Gwillimbury
- Town of Georgina
- Township of King
- Town of Newmarket
- City of Markham
- Town of Richmond Hill
- City of Vaughan
- Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
City of Toronto
- All of the City of Toronto
Step 2: Pre-Retrofit Home Energy Evaluation
An EnerGuide Home Energy Evaluation is an assessment of your home's current energy use. Your energy evaluation will reveal areas where you can make improvements (called retrofits) to enhance your home's energy efficiency, in turn helping you conserve energy and save money. Windfall Ecology Centre's Registered Energy Advisors (REAs) are approved by Enbridge Gas Distribution.
Here's what to expect:
- EVALUATION: You'll get a basement-to-attic assessment of your home's insulation, heating and cooling systems and other energy use.
- TESTING: A blower door test will be conducted to see if your home has air leakage, which can cause wasted energy, uncomfortable drafts and poor air quality.
- GET YOUR RATING: Your home will be given an energy rating using the Natural Resources Canada home evaluation – the higher the rating the better.
- RETROFITS: During your Home Energy Evaluation, you'll get recommendations for improvements (called retrofits) to help reduce your energy bills and increase home comfort.
- RECOMMENDATION: Because your recommended improvements may include heating and insulation, it's best to book your Home Energy Evaluation before the winter heating season.
INCENTIVES: The cost for the pre and post audit is $600 + Hst. Once you have successfully completed both audits, you will receive $600 back to cover your costs. This is included as part of your total incentive cheque.
Approved Registered Energy Advisors (REAs) will help you
- Prioritize your upgrades to get the best
bang for your buck. It can also give you your payback period.
- Reduce air leaks and identify why your house is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
- Understand if your house is too air tight and requires additional
- Determine if energy upgrades were installed as per recommendations.
To qualify for the Enbridge incentives, you must contact Windfall Ecology Centre for your pre and post Home Energy Evaluation by December 31, 2018. All work must be completed with 120 days of the first, pre audit date.
To qualify for electrical incentives, participants must complete the pre audit by June 30, 2018 and accompanying post audit by October 31, 2018.
For any 2017 participants, if you were not able to complete your post energy evaluation by December 31, 2017, Enbridge will honour your enrollment into the Program based on the incentive levels available at the time you complete your post energy evaluation.
Step 3: Upgrades
Implement a minimum of 2 of the following recommended qualified energy upgrades. Your Registered Energy Advisor will provide recommendations for the upgrades best suited for your home.
- Attic Insulation Upgrade: Attic insulation will prevent heated and cooled air from escaping through the top of your home.
- Basement Wall Insulation Upgrade: A properly insulated basement helps to prevent heat loss and mold-causing condensation. It also makes for a more comfortable living space.
- Wall Insulation Upgrade: Better insulation helps to keep heat in during the winter and out during the summer, providing more comfort and lower energy bills.
- Exposed Floor Insulation: Insulating the underside of floors exposed to unheated spaces (such as a room over the garage) can keep floors warmer and provide a more cozy living space.
- Air Sealing: Air leakage means your heating system will need to work harder to heat your home. Proper sealing prevents drafts, increasing comfort and lowering energy bills.**
- Window Replacements: Better windows help to prevent costly drafts and condensation. They also allow for solar gains, which heat your home, and solar shading, which helps cool your home.
- High-Efficiency Space Heating System Installation (natural gas, propane, oil or wood): Installing a high-efficiency heating system will give you improved climate control, energy savings and a more comfortable indoor environment overall.
- High-Efficiency Water Heating System Installation (natural gas, electric, propane, oil or wood): A high-efficiency or tankless water heater can reduce your natural gas consumption, saving you money.
- Install an Air Source Heat Pump (electric*, oil, propane or wood heating): Air-source heat pumps draw heat from the outside air during the heating season and reject heat outside during the summer cooling season, saving energy and money.
*Bonus incentives of up to $5,500 are available for installing an Air Source Heat Pump in electrically heated homes.
Step 4: Post-Retrofit Home Energy Evaluation
By getting a post-retrofit energy evaluation, you'll be able to compare your new and improved energy rating against the energy rating your home was given prior to making retrofits. It'll be positive proof that your energy efficiency upgrades have made a difference
You can receive up to $5,000 for completing a minimum of 2 qualifying energy upgrades as per post energy audit.
When you complete a minimum of 2 qualifying energy upgrades, you have a chance to qualify for additional electric incentives, up to a maximum of $5,755
Audit Cost Breakdown
|Pre-Audit||$400 + $52 (HST) = $452|
|Post-Audit||$200 + $26 (HST) = $226|
Audit costs reimbursed at end of program: $600
To find out which rebates you qualify for call Windfall Ecology Centre now at 905-727-0491 | 416-465-6333 | 866-280-4431.